Date:      Mon, 16 Dec 1996 10:02:26 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD SCSI list)
Cc:        handy@sag.space.lockheed.com (Brian N. Handy)
Subject:   Re: CD-R recommendations?

As Brian N. Handy wrote:

> There's nothing else running on that machine, so I'm beginning to think
> the drive is headed for the dirt again.  Since I've had such lousy luck
> with these, I'm thinking about picking up a different brand of CDR and
> giving it a try.

Just curious, your HP 4020 is an internal drive, right?  Are you
pretty sure you have cooled it enough?  Mounting it in a normal PC
tower is very likely to be _not_ enough cooling, as other people have
also reporting.  You typically get write aborts when it overheats.  (I
eventually forgot the exact SCSI error message, but ISTR that somebody
told me the error is explained in their SCSI ref manual.)

I can recommend the Plasmon, but i don't have an idea about their
pricing these days (our RF4102 is ~ 1 year old now).  They come in a
separate case with a fairly low-noise temperature-controlled fan
inside.  Despite of the first two frisbees when starting my CD-R work,
i've never seen any misbehaviour of that part.

--
cheers, J"org