Date:      Thu, 31 Jul 1997 10:24:45 +0930 (CST)
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        rondzierwa@juno.com (Ron Dzierwa)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PCMCIA on FreeBSD2.2.1

Ron Dzierwa writes:
> Dear Hackers,
>
> I recently installed 2.2.1 on an Ergo Powerbrick 100 Notebook computer
> and had some questions regarding the PCMCIA support.  The hardware
> compatibility list indicates that the 3Com 3c589 pcmcia ethernet is
> supported, as well as the adaptec AIC-6360 pcmcia scsi controller both of
> which I have installed and tested using dos/windows drivers and even NT
> 3.51.  I am having problems getting them to work under FreeBSD 2.2.1
> however, and hoped somebody there could help.

You might be running into a problem I had a few months back.  It seems
that, at that time (December 1996), the PCMCIA code was not able to
grok my notebook hardware (AcerNote Lite, apparently one of many
different machines to bear that name.  This one is a 75MHz Pentium,
and must have one of the slowest disks I've seen in a long time).

> Also, the computer uses a DataBook DB86082 PCMCIA controller chip.  I
> looked thru the PCMCIA support code and did not find any mention of this
> chip, so I am wondering if it is supported.   I have the data sheets and
> some diagnostic/test/development software for the chip (runs under dos),
> so I would be willing to put some work into adding support for the chip
> to the existing PCMCIA code if necessary.

That sounds like a good idea.  It also sounds like my problem.

> Regarding the scsi controller, the driver in the generic kernel seems to
> be able to find it when booting from the CDROM using fbsdboot, but
> shortly thereafter the system hangs up.    I believe that it could find
> the scsi controller because I was booting from dos and the pcmcia
> controller was still set up from the dos driver.   This leads me back to
> the PCMCIA support code.
>
> So I guess what I am asking is:
>   - How to setup/configure the `D' version of the 3c589
>   - Is my PCMCIA chip supported at all?
>   - How to configure the AIC-6360 driver to work with the PCMCIA  chip.

About the only thing I can suggest is that you first try the generic
kernel.  That's what I'm running on my notebook (that's right, without
any PCMCIA support), and it works.  If I install the PCMCIA support,
it stops working.

Greg