Date:      Fri, 7 Jun 2002 21:12:01 +0200 (METDST)
From:      hm@hcs.de (Hellmuth Michaelis)
To:        Gregory Sutter <gsutter@zer0.org>
Cc:        Paulo Fragoso <paulo@nlink.com.br>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, re@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.6RC4 and 4.6RC2 bug?

From the keyboard of Gregory Sutter:

> There have been a few informal reports of ATAPI CD-ROM breakage
> in recent -current and -stable.  I haven't done any research, but
> I know that a few committers have had trouble too.  Consider this
> a "heads-up, there may be real big trouble" message.
>
> Anyone else here suddenly having problems with their acd?

Yesterday i had to upgrade an HP Brio (Celeron, <Intel ICH ATA66 controller>,
9641MB <QUANTUM FIREBALLlct10 10> UDMA33, <FX4820T/F01M> CDROM PIO4) to a
contemporary -stable and i tried the 4.6RC2 CD.

Sysinstall was unable to copy any fileset from the CD to the disk although
the CD booted without problems.

Since i had to work in a tight timeframe i was unable to find out anything
about the cause and ended in installing from the 4.5R CD's without any
problems.

<unverified, unprovable rumoring start>
Other recent small strange things with 4.6 got me to believe that there
is something wierd going on with ata in these pre 4.6 days.
<unverified, unprovable rumoring end>

hellmuth
--
Hellmuth Michaelis                                    Tel   +49 40 55 97 47-70
HCS Hanseatischer Computerservice GmbH                Fax   +49 40 55 97 47-77