Date:      Thu, 25 May 95 18:11:50 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        cs.weber.edu!terry@sbstark.cs.sunysb.edu, gene@starkhome.cs.sunysb.edu, FreeBSD.org!current@sbstark.cs.sunysb.edu, blaise.ibp.fr!roberto@sbstark.cs.sunysb.edu, phk@ref.tfs.com
Subject:   Re: newfs weirdness...

> It's better because 4096 is larger than the average fake cylinder.  (This
> will probably change when disks get larger - all disks will have 1024
> heads, 256 sectors and 63 sectors; larger disks will be unstriped and
> everyone will complain about the 8GB limit :-]).

Maybe on FreeBSD; not on Windows 95.  Windows 95 has support for a minimum
64G of disk (using 4k sectors instead of 512 byte sectors).

There is further support  in the IOS for 64 bit (unsigned) offsets.

BTW, I have seen a working 100G SCSI device used on an ICON system
(a pretty old 88k box), so the limits aren't inherent there, either
(one wonders where the 8G limit in FreeBSD comes from).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.