Date:      Mon, 11 Jan 1999 07:03:49 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bill Pechter <pechter@monmouth.com>
To:        shibumi@cisco.com
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: this ran through my head yesterday...

Kenton A. Hoover said:

> To paraphrase: "No one ever got fired for buying Microsoft."
>
> At a Fortune 500 technology company that shall remain nameless, an evaluation
> was done to decide on whether Microsoft Exchange should become the standard
> MTA/MHA for the company.  They actually hired Microsoft to do the evaluation
> for them.  Thats exactly like how people used to use IBM's services. I'd like
> to be able to say that those were the bad ol' days, but apparently it isn't.

I've moved this to -chat.

Hell, I worked for IBM services for a while.  You'd be amazed how many people
are going to Exchange.  And how often it doesn't hold up.

I've heard horror stories about DEC's exchange setup, and they've got
the techies to baby it and the Alphas to run it.  A number of folks
were sticking to VMS and Unix mail systems.  Probably Compaq will push 'em
over the edge.

They've gone Exchange for a lot of Lucent but my department's still on
sendmail with Eudora and Netscape as the PC clients.  Part of the problem
is the massive amount of 45 mb Powerpoint presentations mailed to mailing
lists.  Unix and Sendmail wasn't meant for that.

There's something to be said for a database with multiple pointers to one
copy of a message.

I'd prefer to see such junk put on a web page for download with an ascii
"there is is" message... but they don't want to do that.

Email is taking the place of anonymous ftp and the web for many non-technical
types.  It's a push delivery system with return-receipt (on some systems)
and this is a plus for the business non-technical types.

Someone who comes up with a better way will make a fortune.
We'd need return-receipt, some kind of database to hold the messages.
Easy message and database recovery and roll-back.

Gee... I'm re-inventing All-In-1 and DecMail.  Pass me the barf bag.
(Yeah, I worked for DEC too and had my worst time with DecMail
message pointer corruption--due to hardware problems and Unibus loading).

Anyway...
I'm waiting to see if I can slip a FreeBSD mail server in one day.
Lucent's got a number of internal programs ported only to SunOS4/Solaris2
for employee database lookups.

I've been sticking with the supported SunOS/Solaris configs for mail
at present, but this may change.

Bill

----

"  ... Overall we've found FreeBSD to excel in performace, stability,
  technical support, and of course price. Two years after discovering
  FreeBSD, we have yet to find a reason why we switch to anything else"
                                                  -David Filo, Yahoo!