Date:      Tue, 18 Sep 2007 16:22:14 +0100
From:      RW <mlt01@mlists.homeunix.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Deleted /var/db/pkg

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 16:46:03 +0400
Andrew Pantyukhin <infofarmer@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 18, 2007 at 02:01:27PM +0200,
> nikolaj.thygesen@diamondbox.dk wrote:
> > Hi list,
> >
> >     Suppose you deleted /var/db/pkg by accident :( What would you
> > do to get it back??
>
> I'd go one of these ways:
> - rm -rf /usr/local ...
> - rebuild all the packages I need in a chroot, then pkg_add them

Or do both, so you can build at your convenience, and have a full set of
packages ready when you delete /usr/local/.

I think in the long-term removing /usr/local may be the easiest thing
to do - it's a lot easier to know what you need than what you had. And
it gets rid of any stray files from miss-matched packing-lists.