Date:      Fri, 16 May 1997 23:01:47 +0200 (MEST)
From:      Søren Schmidt <sos@sos.freebsd.dk>
To:        chuckr@mat.net (Chuck Robey)
Cc:        se@FreeBSD.ORG, dave@persprog.com, jgrosch@sirius.com, randyk@ccsales.com, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What Printer To Get - Postscript

> On Fri, 16 May 1997, Stefan Esser wrote:
>
> > 3) From what I've heard, there is no documentation about high
> >    resolution graphics commands available for any HP printer.
> >    The printer's manual does not even tell about the graphic
> >    compression modes supported (but you can easily find them
> >    by trying all of them). This limits printing to 300dpi, while
> >    the actual physical resolution (pixel size on paper) appears
> >    to be better, even on plain photo-copier paper (I did not yet
> >    try printing on special color inkjet paper).
>
> Stefan, I thought all the inkjets used PCL5 as their language.  If that's
> true, it's completely documented in stuff available from HP.

No, the 870 uses PCL3+ whatever superset of PCL3 that might be...
I bought one a month or so ago, and it is endeed a nice printer.

The only matter I still persue is that it prints much too colored
images, its like the color saturation has been set too high in
ghostscript. However it can probably be corrected by fiddeling
with ghostscript....

Søren Schmidt               (sos@FreeBSD.org)               FreeBSD Core Team
                Even more code to hack -- will it ever end
..