Date:      Thu, 12 Sep 2013 09:05:06 +0100
From:      David Chisnall <theraven@FreeBSD.org>
To:        obrien@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: No gcc by default in -HEAD on platforms where clang is cc

On 11 Sep 2013, at 21:06, "David O'Brien" <obrien@freebsd.org> wrote:

> It is still very useful for folks to test changes in order to help =
ensure
> one doesn't break the build on platforms still using GCC.

If you want to do this test, then you should do make universe or make =
tinderbox (you should do one or the other before committing anything =
already anyway), and these will build the cross-gcc toolchains for =
various architectures.

The GCC in base is not used when build-testing anything except the =
toolchain with our build system.  If you want to test building things =
with gcc, then you need to build WITHOUT_CLANG_IS_CC (which will build =
gcc and then build world with it), or explicitly specify a compiler to =
use when testing a smaller component (which can be a gcc you installed =
from the base tree, or one from ports - Warner is currently working to =
ensure that we'll have the FreeBSD-specific patches forward-ported so =
that each of the lang/gcc ports will be able to build FreeBSD).

The change is only to the default install.  If you are not a FreeBSD =
developer, then you are almost certainly not using our gcc: you're =
either not a developer at all, in which case you're rarely compiling =
things, or you're a developer of other stuff and therefore want a modern =
compiler (either clang or lang/gcc).  If you are a developer, then a =
change to the default install should not be a significant obstacle to =
your configuring the system how you want.

David