Date:      Sun, 06 Apr 1997 11:50:09 -0400
From:      dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.2.1R NFS and FTP load problem FOUND

At 04:04 PM 4/5/97 -0700, Terry Lambert wrote:
>> >There is no evidence, short of a shuffle, that will guarantee you
>> >that the problem is resolved, not masked by the additional RAM.
>> >
>> >You will need to do a full shuffle so that an 8M situation without the
>> >possibly flakey RAM is also tested (and verified to fail).
>>
>> Ok, but why can I load any OTHER version of Freebsd on these machines,
>
>Possibly because it is a bug in FreeBSD, but since you are in
>the vast minority, probably because the usage patterns are different
>between revisions and you are just "lucky".  8-(.

Thats just it. I cant see how "usage patterns" can be an issue, as I'm
using the
same boot diskette (ie kernel) as everyone else. If its not the RAM amount,
I'd love to know just what it is because I know its going to be a problem
in the
future. Anyone have any ideas on how to get some decent diagnostics?

I think I might try doing a reload off of a custom kernel....is there an
easy way to
install a different kernel on the boot floppy, or to build the boot floppy
with a
non generic kernel?

Dennis