Date:      Thu, 21 Nov 1996 23:33:06 +0000 (GMT)
From:      neil@corpex.com (Neil I. Fowler Wright)
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   YP/NIS client

Hi,
        I am having a real brainbender of a problem here. I think I've
missed some major stages.

OS FBSD 2.1.5

I have a server on my network that I believe is configured as a master nis
passwd server. But I need a way of checking really.

However I do not seem to be able to get my nis client machine to work.

I have added +:::::::: to /etc/passwd (vipw)
and +::: to /etc/group

I don;t believe I have to make anything under /var/yp, but if I do  try it says
that it cannot find /etc/defaultdomain/master.passwd.byname - HUH?

executing ypbind with 'any' options just returns the prompt with no errors
of reports ?

and ypset cat yp_bind as ypbind doesn't seem to have stayed up.

What I could really do with is a check list ofr the configuration.

Any help is much appreciated.  Thank you VERY much.

        Cheers,
                Neil