Date:      Tue, 9 Apr 1996 22:00:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        "matthew c. mead" <mmead@Glock.COM>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sb awe32 wavetable synthesis midi

On Tue, 9 Apr 1996, matthew c. mead wrote:

> > >     Do our drivers support the SB32AWE with wave table synthesis
> > > for midi?  Thanks!
>
> > I doubt it.  it required a special version of cakewalk, a DOS sequencer,
> > to recognize the "sysex" calls to use the soundfonts.  I highly doubt the
> > code has been written in the VoxWare drivers.
>
> 	Despite the lack of software support in free Unices, is
> this a good card?  Is it something I'm likely to get
> documentation on to be able to fill in the missing pieces in the
> drivers?  Does anyone know if it does full duplex audio?

The wavetable portion of the card sounds wonderful.  The built in sounds
are some of the best.  The rest is, well, an SB16.  This is NOT the best
side of the card; the mbone tool vat sounds horrible, popping and
clicking all over.  (I'm going to try putting a GUS in next to it and see
if they will co-exist.)

Research is going into getting full duplex working.  I guess they can do
it under Windoze, so there must be a way.