Date:      Wed, 17 Sep 1997 15:28:22 +0900
From:      itojun@itojun.org
To:        Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs pserver mode

>> 	does any of you have trouble using pserver mode of cvs?
>First, don't use pserver.  It sucks.  Badly.  It stores unencrypted
>passwords on the clients disk and anyone with a shell on the server an
>steal connections (and hence passwords) from users connecting.  Bad.
>Secondly, you need the --allow-root option to tell it what repositories to
>use.  This is new in 1.9.10 or something like that.

	Thanks very much for the comment (and to Julian), I'll keep myself
	away from pserver.

	My goal is to have a way to publish half-public source code to
	20 or so people, without giving them an account on my machine.
	(they won't make changes to my repository)
	Options seems to be as follows, but I don't know which is good/bad.
	- cvs pserver (should stay away from this)
	- anonymous cvs + some modification
	  (how to set it up? OpenBSD people uses this to keep them in sync)
	- cvsupd + some modification
	  (current version has no authentication, it seems)
	- give an account (say, "mygroup") to them and use rsh/ssh

	Please let me know your opinion.  Thanks!

itojun