Date:      Wed, 27 Dec 2006 16:05:31 -0600
From:      Mark Kane <mark@mkproductions.org>
To:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SCSI Tape Drive Problems

On Wed, Dec 20, 2006, at 11:14:57 -0600, Dan Nelson wrote:
> In the last episode (Dec 20), Mark Kane said:
> > Thanks very much for the replies. Both drives are external, and they
> > both have terminators on the back. The setup is like this:
> >
> > The DDS autoloader is connected to the back of the Adaptec card via
> > a new external HD68 cable and the terminator that came with the
> > drive is on the second plug of the unit.
> >
> > The Sun DLT drive is connected via an external HD50 cable to an
> > adaptor that turns it into an internal cable which is then
> > connected to the Adaptec card internally. It has a Sun terminator
> > on the second plug on the unit.
> >
> > The cable that connects the DDS autoloader is brand new. It's not a
> > major brand name, but it's listed as "double shielded", "UL20276
> > listed", etc. The cable that connects the DLT unit is an older
> > Adaptec one (possibly used) purchased for a few dollars locally. I
> > could understand if that cable was a problem for writing using that
> > drive, but having the issue on both drives like this with two
> > separate cables just seems like it's something else.
> >
> > By the way, the green LEDs on both terminators are illuminated so
> > they should be working.
>
> All that looks okay to me.  Try reposting your question to the
> freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org list.

Thanks again for the responses. Before I bug scsi@, I have a little
more information now that might help. I'll try to keep it simple.

When using pax, both drives write more data and get further than before
with cpio. The DLT (which previously gave those SCSI errors after
writing ~200 or ~500MB) can now write the full 17GB directory fine with
pax and without any SCSI errors or tape full problems. If I try to add
my 1.6GB mail directory onto that, it errors out with "tape full" after
about half my mail directory...so for simplicity's sake, it stops at
around 18GB with a "tape full" error.

On the DDS drive, pax gets considerably farther than cpio but still
cannot write the full 17GB directory. With pax, it errors out with a
tape full error pretty close to the end of that 17GB, but will never
complete it.

The files themselves inside those directories are of varying sizes,
however no single file is over 2GB.

So now I think it's pretty much down to "drives saying the tape is full
before it really is" without any specific SCSI errors anymore.

-Mark

--
Internet Radio:
Party107 (Trance/Electronic) - http://www.party107.com

IRC:
MIXXnet IRC Network - irc.mixxnet.net (Nick: MIXX941)