Date:      Tue, 20 Mar 2018 01:34:40 +0300
From:      Rozhuk Ivan <rozhuk.im@gmail.com>
To:        Andreas Scherrer <ascherrer@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Multicast/SSDP not working (on VLAN interface)

On Mon, 19 Mar 2018 22:29:12 +0100
Andreas Scherrer <ascherrer@gmail.com> wrote:

> Now, if I (manually) add a static route for 224.0.0.0/4 via the
> interface the M-SEARCH messages are coming in, everything starts to
> work!
>
> route add -net 224.0.0.0/4 -iface re1.32
>
> The (main) problem here is that I have multiple networks with clients
> in them. So a static route does not REALLY solve my problem.
>
> Also I do not (yet?) understand why the route should be required.
>
> What I see is that ifmcstat -f inet -i re1.32 does not list a
> membership for 239.255.255.250 when it is not working, but does list
> the membership when it is working...

That is because many software use old dumb multicast socket api.
It requres that use add route to mc net via one net iface.
If no mc route present then OS will send all mc packets to default gw, using unicast gw mac addr instead of specific mc mac addr.
On linux all same.

Mine https://github.com/rozhuk-im/ssdpd can send and receive mc packet via many net ifaces.