Date:      Thu, 23 Mar 2000 01:13:32 -0800 (PST)
From:      Derrick Baumer <bduk@earthlink.net>
To:        jmd526@hotmail.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ports questions

> From: "John Daniels" <jmd526@hotmail.com>
>
> Hi:
>
> Could someone answer some basic questions for me?
>
> 1. How smart is ports?

Real smart.

> If I want to delete a port/pkg that another port/pkg depends on,
> will the ports system warn me before doing so?

Yes.

> Will the Ports
> system delete all the dependancy applications that were installed to support
> an application that was installed?

No.

> If so, will it warn me if any of those dependancy apps have other
> apps that depend on them?

N/A

> 2.  I would like to install Apache with PHP, Jserv, mod_Perl, SSL, and
> FrontPage extensions.  Is there such a thing?  How would I go about creating
> this?  Would I simply 'make package' with the various Apache+ ports, then
> compile Apache?

I expect you'd have to do a 'make extract' on the base distribution
then edit the sources yourself.  If you know what you're doing (and I
assume you must if you feel you actually need all of that
functionality), it shouldn't take terribly long.  You may end up having
to do the install manually.  I believe there's a way to force the
system to think a port has been installed even if you didn't install
it through the ports system (eg. installed manually), but you'll have
to look around a bit - I'm not sure of the exact command.

--
Derrick Baumer
bduk@earthlink.net