Date:      Wed, 01 Aug 2001 10:46:51 -0400
From:      Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org>
To:        Martin Schweizer <info@pc-service.ch>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Telnet

Martin Schweizer wrote:

> Hello
>
> I would connect to my shell machine at otaku.freeshell.org. If I use telnet
> from Win9x/WinNT/Win2k I've no problem to access. If I use telnet from
> FreeBSD4.3 I can't correct steering my shell (some keys won't functions). I
> changed also the TERM variable to vt100 without success (in this case the
> command line from FreeBSD ist verry strange). What I doing wrong?
> Thank you in advance.

How are you using telnet from the FreeBSD machine?  Are you on the
console
or are you in an xterm?  The PC Console isn't a very good VT100
emulator,
you need to use a mode like "pc-cons" or "pc-ansi" or "ansi" or "cons25"
or "pccons" or whatever the remote system actually has for PC consoles.

XTerms in general are halfway decent VT100 emulators, but using "xterm"
is even better.

Windows telnet is a terrible emulator, but if you consider it to work
with
"no problems" as a vt100 terminal, then you should have no problem
getting
equivelent functionality out of FreeBSD with the right term variable.

--
  \  |_ _|__ __|_ \ __| Jason Andresen        jandrese@mitre.org
 |\/ |  |    |    / _|  Network and Distributed Systems Engineer