Date:      Wed, 10 Dec 2008 14:02:47 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        "??? ????" <noor@comrax.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: USB Keyboard is not working with a custom kernel

On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 07:33:44 +0200, "??? ????" <noor@comrax.com> wrote:
> With this kernel, whenever I connect a USB keyboard, I see on
> the console an alert ("USB keyboard device this and that,
> connected to ....") and even the make/model of the keyboard
> is shown, but the keyboard doesn't work. The Num/Caps locks
> work (I mean, the light on the keyboard alternates between
> ON/OFF whenever press on the keys).
>
> Anyone knows what's the problem? And how to fix it?

This *may* be due to kbdmux. On older FreeBSD systems (such
as FreeBSD 5), you had to manually change the active keyboard
using the kbdcontrol command. Let's say, you have an AT keyboard
present (which has the "focus") and you plugged in the USB
keyboard, the keyboard would get recognized and powered (so
you can toggle the Blinkenlights), but no input would come
from it. Then you would have to use the "focused" keyboard
/dev/kbd0 (=/dev/atkbd0) to "change focus" to the USB one
/dev/kbd1 (=/dev/ukbd0). Since kbdmux has been introduced,
"focus" is on all keybpards that are plugged into the system,
so it doesn't matter where you type something.

Maybe you could check the presence of kbdmux or use an AT
keyboard to check via kbdcontrol.

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany