Date:      Sun, 12 May 1996 17:26:25 +0100
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        " Stephen P. Butler" <stephen@dcs.rhbnc.ac.uk>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GCC version with FreeBSD.

" Stephen P. Butler" wrote in message ID
<Pine.OSF.3.91.960511205922.8316A-100000@platon>:
> The NEWS file supplied with GCC 2.7.2 says that FreeBSD on x86 support
> was added with version 2.7.0, but FreeBSD seems to ship with version
> 2.6.3.  Are there any particular reasons for this or have the
> distributions just not been updated yet?

Several reasons:

- We looked at 2.7.0 and 2.7.1 when the both came out, and didn't want
  to move to them as they both had more bugs than the 2.6.3 that we
  are shipping now. 2.7.2 is probably a bit better than 2.6.3, but:

- Munging the GCC source distribution into a bmake (Berkeley make,
  i.e. what FreeBSD uses) is quite, err, ``interesting''.

- There have been a significant number of changes to GCC which mean
  that it would take some work to get the tree up to speed with 2.7.2,
  and (probably) even more work to find an eliminate the subbtle bugs
  that -Wall can't find as they are to do with having inline asm in
  the code (and possibly other interactions between GCC and our
  system)

So the real problem is that no-one who has the required knowledge to
properly import 2.7.2 (without taking -current out of the water for an
extended period) has the time to do it as they all have a lot on their
plate.

You have also to remember that GNU expect you to upgrade your whole
toolkit when you move to 2.7.2, and moving our as and ld (the latter
having undergone a LOT of work to fix some annoying problems with it)
would be no simple matter.

Gary