Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 1995 13:23:18 -0700
From:      Steve Passe <fbsd@clem.systemsix.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        mmead@goof.com
Subject:   Re: kernel hang

Hello,

>    Well, like I posted earlier, I left my machine sitting at virtual console

0, in hopes of seeing some message, but alas, none was on the screen when I got
> back to the machine after it had hung.  Any ideas?  This has only started
> occurring in the past 2 days with freshly supped kernels each night.

I have same problem.

WHat I did:

	downloaded current src/sys/*  (late 3-21/early 3-22)
	downloaded current src/sbin/config/*  (midday 3-22)
	copied src/sys/sys/* /usr/include/sys
	built & installed config
	config GENERIC; make depend; make
	mv kernel /kernel.x
	ln kernel.x kernel
	halt
	(reset)

What happens:

	after approx. 2-3 minutes the system wedges.  I think it is
related to routed, ie, it happens when the default route goes away.
With my configuration the default route goes away after several
minutes (always been a problem for me, even with my old BSDI system.
I am used to doing a manual "route add default xxx" several minutes
after any reboot.  If anyone knows a solution..., but I digress)
Anyways, my intuition said default route so I rebooted, started a
ping to this box from annother, then did a manual "route delete
default" and the system wedges.  The ping on the other box stops at
that instant.  I can still ALT-FN to other vttys but they don't
respond to keystrokes.  I repeated this experiment 3 times, always
same result.

BTW, I updated to be able to run gdb on the restore/4mmDAT panic
problem.  This new kernel DOESN'T panic, but gives a message
about sense failure, if only kernel would stay up long enough to
do something...

					Steve Passe
					smp@clem.systemsix.com