Date:      Thu, 15 Nov 2001 15:25:50 +0000
From:      Nick Barnes <Nick.Barnes@pobox.com>
To:        j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        Richard Nyberg <rnyberg@it.su.se>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Netscape multitasking less smoothly?

At 2001-11-15 15:18:06+0000, j mckitrick writes:
> | However, independently of which browser I use I always set it to use the
> | 'Verdana' and 'Courier New' fonts from "ports/x11-fonts/webfonts".
>
> For some odd reason, i never got webfonts to work.  X complained every
> time it started that the directories for fonts were incorrect.  In
> netscape, there were no TT fonts listed, so i gave up.  I wish this
> werent' so difficult.  It's the most significant problem i have had with
> FreeBSD lately.

I just did it this afternoon, prompted by Richard Nyberg's message.
From scratch, it went something like this:

# cd /usr/ports/x11-fonts/webfonts && make install
# cd /usr/ports/x11-servers/Xfstt && make install
# ln -s /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/webfonts /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType/webfonts
# xfstt --sync
# xfstt --user nobody --notcp --daemon
# xset fp+ unix/:7101

That was it; I didn't even have to restart Mozilla.  The symlink is
vital, otherwise Xfstt won't see the webfonts.

Also add this to your XF86Config "Files" section, so it gets picked up
again when you restart X:

   FontPath   "unix/:7101"

This is 4.4-RELENG with XFree86 3.3.6.  I gather that on XFree86 4 you
don't need Xfstt.

Nick B