Date:      Tue, 9 Jan 2001 07:57:44 +0100
From:      "Walter W. Hop" <walter@binity.com>
To:        lanehol@bellsouth.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Local DNS Server

> My FreeBSD box is server.unix.home at 192.168.0.4 (I'm not real original
> with these)
> My Windows box is lane.windows.home at 192.168.0.1
> My Mac box is joe.mac.home at 192.168.0.2

This is not so hard to do. You have to create a domain in your nameserver
called "home". To do this, add this to named.conf:

zone "home"
{
 type master;
 file "zone/home";
};

Then create a file /etc/namedb/zone/home:

@           IN  SOA     server.unix.home. hostmaster.server.unix.home. (
                        2001010701     ; serial
                        8H             ; refresh
                        2H             ; retry
                        4W             ; expire
                        1D )           ; minimum

;; the nameserver for the zone
                NS      server.unix.home.

;; this one is required
localhost       A       127.0.0.1

;; insert your hosts in the "home" domain here
server.unix     A       192.168.0.4
lane.windows    A       192.168.0.1
joe.mac         A       192.168.0.2

If you reload the nameserver with "killall -HUP named" you should see in
your logfiles that it has loaded a zone called "home". Should you ever
change the zone, be sure to raise the serial number.

You might want to check out this little HOWTO on BIND. It's clear and
simple. http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/DNS-HOWTO.html

If the example above doesn't work I apologize, it's 07:56am and I've been
up all night reading about mutexes and deadlocks :)

Good luck..
walter.

--
 Walter W. Hop <walter@binity.com> | +31 6 24290808 | NEW KEY: 0x84813998