Date:      Sat, 28 Jul 2007 08:33:55 -0300
From:      JoaoBR <joao@matik.com.br>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        bruno@freebsd.org, freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org, Michael Nottebrock <lofi@freebsd.org>, Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
Subject:   Re: powerd freeze with amd 5000 X2 but not with lower cpus

On Saturday 28 July 2007 07:10:21 Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> JoaoBR schrieb:

> >> [Jumping in from the thread started on -stable -
> >> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2007-July/036395.html
> >> - see there for system details]
> >>
> >> Same here - in single user mode, even powerd works fine - like it does
> >> with SMP disabled - but no go in multiuser.

> >> The CPU difference is interesting - exactly what model is your X2 4600=
+?
> >> Mine is a stepping F, model 4B, rev BH-F2 ("Energy Efficient" with 65W
> >> TDP).
> >
> > seems to be the same
> >
> > but I have better news and seems my first idea was right, the MB is it
> >
> > I found a tech info on the manufactor's support site telling cpu support
> > up to 4600+ and found a bios for newer cpus including my 5000+
> >
> > so I upgraded the bios and my CPU now works with smp + cpufreq + powerd
> > on both amd64 and i386
>
> Good to hear. Unfortunately my Mobo's BIOS is already up-to-date, the
> CPU is officially supported and Cool'n'Quiet works dandy in Windows XP
> ... =3D/

my ok msg was too fast, after some time my video starts flickering and stay=
s=20
so and the PC is freezed up, disabling powerd and works stable

until it freeze cpu frequency shifting is done well

manually I can set all cpu speeds and seems to stay stable on each

must be related to X because I have some servers without X but=20
cpufreq+smp+powerd running absolutely stable

I found some msgs about the same problem with Gentoo and Debian and people =
say=20
the problem is with xorg and changing to xfree solved it for them but I=20
myself probably will not risk getting into a nightmare after the /usrX11R6=
=20
thing

I have no windows but fedora 7 on the same pc and works fine too,=20
kde's 'kpowersave info dialog' shows fine the cpu frequency shifting

=2D-=20

Jo=E3o