Date:      Tue, 6 Jun 1995 15:56:15 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com (Rodney W. Grimes)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: large filesystems/multiple disks [RAID]

Hi Rod,

> > > I have read the code in stripe.tar, it should be a day or twos work
> > > to get it up and running under FreeBSD.
> >
> > Did you ever make any progress on this?  If not, I will (try to) look at
> > it, but I'd prefer that somebody that knows what the heck they're doing down
> > within the device driver code putz with it..  :-)
>
> Yes, I played with that code (infact I have a kernel with /dev/ilv in
> it).  I never made it work completly.  Then I remeber the sys/dev/cd.c
> driver that came with 4.4 Lite and went and looked at it.  I also have
> that working (renamed to concat.c to elimanate the conflict) partially,
> enough to say that I took 2 4MB/sec drives and interleaved them and
> got a 5.2MB/sec transfer rate for reads (I can't write due to bugs)
> *with out* spindle sync.
> [...]
> > Having recently seen Solaris' Online: DiskSuite, which suffers from fairly
> > significant performance degradations, I'm curious to see what a real
> > operating system can do.  ;-)
>
> It will be at least another week, but you'll now I have made serious
> progress when you see a cvs commit message for the import of
> sys/dev/concat.

Any progress on this?  I have not seen anything recently, or any signs of
ilv or concat that I can determine in 2.0.5A...?  Or am I just blind?  :-)

... Joe

Joe Greco - Systems Software Engineer, UNIX/Network Hacker, Etc.   414/362-3617
Marquette Electronics, Inc. - R&D - Milwaukee, WI                jgreco@mei.com