Date:      Thu, 21 Mar 96 10:30:48 +0100
From:      cracauer@wavehh.hanse.de (Martin Cracauer)
To:        chuckr@Glue.umd.EDU
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: internationalization

chuckr@Glue.umd.EDU (Chuck Robey) wrote:

>I am just a little puzzled on one point.  In ports, we have a healthy
>sized couple of sections dedicated to ports that have been handcrafted
>for Russian and Japanese FreeBSDers.  I was thinking about this, and I
>occurred to me that probably the largest group of FreeBSDers with a
>non-English home tongue would be the Germans.  How come there is no
>German section?  Are a very large number of Germans content with English
>programs, or is the interest not there, or are these things showing up on
>different venues?

>I don't speak German myself, but it does seem unreasonable, given the
>size of the German audience.  I would suppose this would go with equal
>force for the French folks (I read the comments of many French FreeBSD
>contributors with interest).  Why is there no /usr/ports/french?

I think the average Japan and Russia user is in a more diffucult
situation, because a) English is teached to every school kid in
germany (but not in the former DDR up to 19989) and b) German is quite
similar to english.

Personally, I like it the way it is. My english is far from perfect,
but I really hate reading most German translations of computing
documents.

Martin
--
Martin Cracauer <cracauer@wavehh.hanse.de>  -  BSD User Group Hamburg