Date:      Tue, 27 Jan 1998 12:34:26 -0800 (PST)
From:      lamaster@george.arc.nasa.gov
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        lamaster@george.arc.nasa.gov
Subject:   Re: Sendmail - low on space

|>> Unless disk IO and space is an issue, where a nth disk
|>>    is mounted a /var, I symlink the entire /var to /usr/var
|>>    when installing.  No sense deciding how much to reserve for
|>>    /var and /usr and more economical for single disk installs.

I know it is unfashionable right now to say this, and,
each to his own taste, but, /var was created for a reason.
The reason hasn't really gone away.  I think it in
multiple-user environments it is good planning
to decide how much to reserve in advance for, e.g.,
the user mail input queues.  As well as user home
directories and other similar requirements.

In other words, while the original user needs help and probably
doesn't feel like re-partitioning the disk at this point,
in general, I recommend planning the /var partition in advance
and partitioning the disk accordingly.  The FreeBSD sysinstall
defaults are reasonable for smallish disks, but most people
have more memory and bigger disks today, and would benefit from
generally larger partitions (including swap).  But, the basic
partitioning is very reasonable; the default sizes for /, swap,
and /var, should probably be larger for larger disks.

-Hugh LaMaster

  Hugh LaMaster, M/S 258-5,     ASCII Email:  hlamaster@mail.arc.nasa.gov
  NASA Ames Research Center     Or:           lamaster@nas.nasa.gov
  Moffett Field, CA 94035-1000  No Junkmail:  USC 18 section 2701
  Phone:  415/604-1056          Disclaimer:   Unofficial, personal *opinion*.