Date:      Fri, 14 Feb 1997 09:27:11 GMT
From:      Bob Bishop <rb@gid.co.uk>
To:        patrick@xinside.com
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sun Workshop compiler vs. GCC?

At 10:16 pm -0000 13/2/97, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
>[...]
>Solaris won't capture the market, because they don't have a good
>installation program.

True, but not the main problem. Solaris won't capture the market because
the SOB simply won't work on most hardware.

With FreeBSD, you're having a very bad day if you can't just stuff the
disks into a random PC and watch the thing install itself (I exaggerate
only slightly). With Solaris, my experience is that you can forget it if
the hardware doesn't conform in all respects to the letter of the
"supported" list, and even then there's a good chance it won't play.

Maybe if my clients had money to burn and bought Compaq, IBM, ...

--
Bob Bishop              (0118) 977 4017  international code +44 118
rb@gid.co.uk        fax (0118) 989 4254  between 0800 and 1800 UK