Date:      Fri, 5 Apr 1996 19:58:40 +0400 (MSD)
From:      =?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?= (aka Andrey A. Chernov, Black Mage) <ache@astral.msk.su>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: adjkerntz (was: cvs commit: src/usr.sbin/tzsetup ...)

> As =?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?= wrote:
>
> > > rarely the case for me.)  What if i use my own package to export/
> > > import DOS files?  (Yes, i really wrote one as paywork years ago.  It
> >
> > Your package must handle timezone in this case.
>
> How if i don't know in which timezone the floppy i just wanna read has
> been created?  What about mtools?

It was error in DOS filesystem data structure: there must be field
to store timezone. Due to this error all fpysical media exchange between
timezones are illegal. :-)

> You can argue how you want: DOS has simply ignored the problem for too
> long, and now that the technology has been rolling all over it, it's
> too late for a general solution.  That's typical for DOS...

I don't argue, I agree.

> > DOS have TZ environment variable (all C implmentations handle it).
>
> Well, dir(1) (not that there's really a man page section one, but so
> you know what i mean :) cannot handle it if i insert a floppy that
> came from USA, for example.
>
> TZ is solely handled by C runtime systems, and at least for my very
> old TC 2.0 (the only C system i've still got around), the TZ handling
> is buggy.  I've just started pcemu and wrote a small test program:
> setting TZ affects both, localtime(3) and gmtime(3) similarly.

New C/Pascal compilers handle it corretcly. time() returns UTC
when your BIOS have wall clock.

> Last not least, DOS timezone idea is broken.  You can find work-
> arounds, and they might be working for you most of the time, but they
> remain workarounds for something that has been misdesigned in the
> first place.  I won't do anything in my Unix systems to correct their
> mistakes.

My intention is not correct Microsoft mistakes in general, but run
FreeBSD & DOS/Win on the same machine. Be more specific: I dislike
DOS filesystem times changed when I change OS. I.e I run 'make'
under DOS after I edit DOS files under FreeBSD: file times must
remain 'the same'.

--
Andrey A. Chernov        : And I rest so composedly,  /Now, in my bed,
ache@astral.msk.su       : That any beholder  /Might fancy me dead -