Date:      Sat, 08 May 1999 19:50:53 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        "Grifter" <grifter@shaw.wave.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: comport usage

"Grifter" writes:
[...]
> 	In my case i have connected this chip to a remote control car and by
> sending data through the comport at 2400BPS i can navigate the car.  I used
> to run linux and had the car working (not verywell but working).  Anyway im
> looking for a way to access the comports at 2400BPS from a perl appliction
> i have written to allow the car to be driven from the net.
>

> i have read that i can open the comport like a file but how do i set
> parity,baudrate, stopbits, startbits etc....  Are there any examples that i
> could look at or any help files i can use? or hell just someone out there
> willing to help?

I'm not good a perl, but "man stty" will tell you all about how to set
and read serial port speed and the like. Open the port in perl first,
then exec(), system(), or whatever, the stty command.

"man sio" for more details about the serial port driver and the
meanings/functions of the various serial port names.

"man termios" and "man comcontrol" will also be helpful.