Date:      Tue, 25 May 2004 09:08:11 -0500
From:      Will Andrews <will@csociety.org>
To:        Jon Noack <noackjr@alumni.rice.edu>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: anoncvs.FreeBSD.org gone?

--js+/jT5SQQin5+Fm

On Tue, May 25, 2004 at 03:07:11AM -0500, Jon Noack wrote:
> I don't know the correct list for this, so I'll ask here.  Pointers to=20
> the correct place gratefully accepted...
>=20
> For the last couple days I have been unable to resolve=20
> anoncvs.FreeBSD.org.  It appears to have disappeared even from the=20
> FreeBSD DNS servers:
>=20
> $ nslookup anoncvs.freebsd.org ns1.downloadtech.com
> Server:  dt2-sfo-2.downloadtech.net
> Address:  209.237.247.3
>=20
> *** dt2-sfo-2.downloadtech.net can't find anoncvs.freebsd.org:=20
> Non-existent host/domain
>=20
> The handbook still mentions anoncvs.FreeBSD.org -- what is the best=20
> anonymous CVS server for someone in the US?

I had to take it down because it was very likely that it had been
broken into.  It will be rebuilt from scratch soon.

In the near future, I am preparing another server I run to handle
anoncvs using the ssh protocol (in the OpenBSD fashion), and the
rebuilt anoncvs.freebsd.org will support this as well.  This
should hopefully prevent future holes through the pserver
mechanism from affecting service.

Whether or not the anoncvs name is restored is another question.
As mux@ points out, there are better ways to achieve the same
effect.  However, I set up these servers anyway because sometimes
people aren't at home with their copy of the CVS repository.

Regards,
--=20
wca

--js+/jT5SQQin5+Fm