Date:      Tue, 17 Jan 2012 10:29:53 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Importing djb's public domain daemontools?

On Jan 17, 2012, at 12:34 AM, Doug Barton wrote:

> On 01/16/2012 23:10, Warner Losh wrote:
>>=20
>> On Jan 16, 2012, at 10:10 PM, Doug Barton wrote:
>>=20
>>>=20
>>> Good, then we're done. :)
>>=20
>> Not necessarily...
>>=20
>>>=20
>>> We don't do religious wars here. We especially don't do trollbait
>>> from djb acolytes. The "pidfile hackery" that we currently have
>>> works just fine in the vast majority of cases. The fact that it
>>> doesn't meet some people's ideas of architectural purity is totally
>>> beside the point.
>>=20
>> This isn't a religious war.
>=20
> You obviously haven't spent a lot of time dealing with djb'ites. Your
> warning sign should have been "messy and unreliable pidfile concept"
> from the OP, or "pidfile hackery" above.

I have spent time with djb-ites in other areas.  I tend to ignore their =
ranker and focus on the technical issues.  I've had issues with pidfiles =
and such in the past.  There are a lot of hacks to get around those =
issues, and things mostly work.  If there's a good alternative that can =
be demonstrated to work and gain us additional functionality, I'm all =
for it.  I've fought with init() to make it keep important daemons =
around should they die.  I've worked with other systems that make it =
easy to do and miss that on FreeBSD.  It is possible, but not easy.  If =
daemontools makes it easy, we should evaluate it.

>> This is someone coming to us and saying that it might be a good idea
>> to clean up the mess by importing a tiny bit of extra code
>=20
> That's not even close to an accurate description of what this project
> would entail. Have you ever used daemontools?

I haven't.  However, without a fully formed set of patches to test and =
evaluate technically, it is hard to know if this is a good idea or a bad =
idea.

>> I'm not convinced it is a non-starter.  I'd fully support Jos if he
>> wanted to commit the code and had done the leg work to do it.=20
>=20
> One would hope that it would take more than just your support to
> entirely change the way that we start and manage services in FreeBSD.
>=20
> Also, see my followup to Jos' subsequent post.

And one would hope your pig-headdednes also doesn't keep it out of =
FreeBSD.  Neither you nor I are the final arbiter of what's good for =
FreeBSD.

Warner