Date:      Fri, 17 Jul 2020 10:12:26 -0400
From:      Lonnie Cumberland <lonnie@outstep.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   NanoBSD and PicoBSD questions

Hi All,

I am just now coming to FreeBSD over from the Linux world.

In the past,I read a little bit about a 6BM BSD version made from FreeBSd
called MiniBSD which was only 6MB in size but unfortunately that was for an
i386 base and the project seems to be now dead.

I am very interest possibly generating up some in ultra-thin FreeBSD
versions for the x86_64 (AMD) platform that can be along the same size or
smaller, of course without an xserver as I am looking into SDL & DirectFB
to run the GUI single application (no desktop needed) that I want.

On that note, I have also read that FreeBSD has some "tools" that may be
able to generate versions of PicoBSD (around 2MB) and NanoBSD (??? MB) so I
have set up a FreeBSD system so that I can try to generate some ISO's if
possible.

For this project, an initial FreeBSD, or dialect, being the smaller the
better with just the absolute bare essentials on it so that I can add
things as needed.

What I am not sure about here is how to install the FreeBSD tools that seem
to have the shell scripts that will generate PicoBSD and NanoBSD.

I would like to be able to download a pre-built ISO of these just to see
them run before jumping into the effort but cannot find them anywhere.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Lonnie