Date:      Fri, 16 Aug 1996 10:23:42 -0500 (CDT)
From:      mikebo@tellabs.com
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        mikebo (Mike Borowiec)
Subject:   2.1.5R - Help loading AST laptop via 3c589 PCCARD

Help -
I've inherited an AST PowerExec 486/33 SL laptop with an old 3COM 3c589
PCCARD modem. No matter what I do, I can't get the FreeBSD kernel to
find the card. The 3COM setup programs report that the PCCARD is setup
on IRQ 3, IO 0x300, and that there is no shared memory area. In the
kernel -c setup, I configure the zp0 device to these parameters, leaving
the shared memory area set to 0xd8000 (even though the 3COM utitity says
there is none). I've reduced the probed devices to:
floppy controller, wd0, sc0, sio0, lpt0 and zp0.

I can't tell whether or not the kernel actually finds zp0, as the
kernel messages are wiped off the screen by the install menu before I
can get a chance to read the output! (Wouldn't it be cool to be able
to probe each device manually, or at least SAVE the output screen so
one could refer to it? Maybe there's a way to do this of which I'm not
aware?). Anyway, when I get down to selecting a network device to
select from NFS install, zp0 is not one of the available devices...
This is the first clue I have that the kernel may not be able to see
this device...

Has anyone successfully installed on this laptop or with this enet card?
Anyone have any tips on how I can get confirmation as to whether the
kernel is actually seeing this card, or if the install menus have a bug?
Please help! Aaaaargh!
- Mike
Michael Borowiec   -   mikebo@tellabs.com   -   Tellabs Operations, Inc.
Senior Member of Technical Staff                4951 Indiana Avenue, MS 63
630-512-8211  FAX: 630-512-7099                 Lisle, IL  60532  USA