Date:      Wed, 02 Jul 1997 14:22:38 -0600
From:      Joshua Fielden <shag@concentric.net>
To:        Brian Hauber <bhauber@netaxs.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD telnet weirdness...

Brian Hauber wrote:

> I just installed FreeBSD 2.2.2 on my system and I've narrowed my
> problem down to a specific symptom. I cannot connect to any FreeBSD
> system from my machine nor can anyone telnet to my machine from a
> FreeBSD system.
>
> I have no problems telnetting out to any non-FreeBSD machine and I can
> telnet TO my machine from a non-FreeBSD machine.
>
> I searched the archives and saw several people had similar problems,
> but saw no answers to their questions. Anyone care to enlighten me as
> to what the problem is?
>
> --
> Brian Hauber                                     bhauber@netaxs.com
> http://www.pobox.com/~bhauber                     bhauber@pobox.com
> PGP fingerprint =  0C 9B 2B 4F F8 68 12 81  DC 0A 13 43 FF 50 D0 1F

I had this same problem with my machine, and specifically running an
expect script that telnets to two places at once- one SUN and one BSD.
If I killed the BSD login, it ran fine. What finally worked is to
specify a TERM of cons25 in my .login file. <when running from the
console, I need the color capability of cons25> I never tried any other
term type, but that may well work too. <Of course, then I have to set
term=vt100 to connect to a Red Hat box I get mail on. sigh.> And of
course, this only happens on 2.2.x, not on 2.1.x...
--
SCSI is *not* magic.  There are many technical
reasons why it is occasionally necessary to