Date:      Tue, 26 Oct 1999 15:53:50 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Konrad Heuer <kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de>
To:        J McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: technical question about process loading

On Tue, 26 Oct 1999, J McKitrick wrote:

> I don't know if this question belongs here or not, but i'll give it a
> shot.  If i'm in the wrong place, let me know and i'll re-post elsewhere.
>=20
> I just read something very interesting about Linux program execution, and
> i was wondering how FBSD compares in this respect.
>=20
> "The loading of a binary file into physical memory is not performed by th=
> binary loader under Linux.  Rather, the pages of the binary file are
> mapped into regions of virtual memory.  Only when the program tries to
> access a given page will a page fault result in the loading of that page
> into physical memory."
>=20
> Does FBSD have a similar mechanism?  If not, what advantages/disadvantage=
> does FBSD have?  The Linux method seems interesting and quite
> efficient.

Yes, FreeBSD does this in a similar way; a keyword often found for this is
`demand paging' which was already introduced in 3BSD for the VAX
architecture about 1980 (as far as I know).

Regards

//
// Konrad Heuer                                  ____            ___  _____=
__=20
// Gesellschaft f=FCr wissenschaftliche           / __/______ ___ / _ )/ __=
/ _ \
//    Datenverarbeitung mbH G=D6ttingen          / _// __/ -_) -_) _  |\ \/=
 // /
// Am Fa=DFberg, D-37077 G=D6ttingen              /_/ /_/  \__/\__/____/___=
/____/=20
// Deutschland (Germany)                      ----- The Power to Serve ----=