Date:      Thu, 25 Nov 2010 15:08:48 -0500
From:      dieterbsd@engineer.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-drivers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: JMicron JMB363 PCIe controller doesn't work

Wojciech Puchar writes:
> This crappy controllers have builtin bios that don't allow selecting=20
AHCI mode.

The controller itself may be ok.  The BIOS is certainly crappy.

I have a couple of JMB363 PCIe x1 cards.  If I plug one into a certain
slot the machine hangs on boot (doesn't make it out of bios).  Avoiding=20
that
slot, one card may or may not show up.  Ugly workaround: reboot over=20
and over
until both show up.  Less painful workaround: I replaced one with a=20
SiI3132 card.
The SiI3132 is not as fast as JMB363.

The remaining JMB363 card (Syba brand) does show up as AHCI and works=20
with the
ahci(4) driver.  if the achi driver isn't loaded, then ata(4) driver=20
also works,
but not as well, and certainly not as fast, as ahci.

I am told (thanks, Stephane) that some mainboards have an option in=20
BIOS to
disable the BIOS on expansion cards.  My mainboard's crappy BIOS=20
(Phoenix AwardBIOS)
does not offer this feature, perhaps yours does.

You might see if JMB has an alternative BIOS to flash.

> seems the problem is that FreeBSD can't by itself set SATA controller=20
mode.
> i can't find such option.

Interesting.  I didn't know that the JMB363 had both AHCI and non-AHCI=20
modes.
Or could it be an id issue?  If you do "pciconf -l" do you get=20
0x2363197b for both
the onboard JMB363 and the expansion cards?