Date:      Sun, 2 Dec 2001 00:41:26 -0500 (EST)
From:      "David H. Brierley" <dave@galaxia.com>
To:        Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
Cc:        Jeff Williams <macclad@home.com>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Engabling the DHCP client

On Sat, 1 Dec 2001, Annelise Anderson wrote:

> On Sat, 1 Dec 2001, Jeff Williams wrote:
>
> > Um, the DCHP man page on the web is fine, except I'm confused about two
> > things:
> > 1: How to you EXECUTE dhcpclient? Where do I put the issuance of the
> > execution command?
>
> The executable is dhclient
> It takes an interface argument (which is good to add), e.g.:
>
> dhclient xl0
>
> > 2: How or where do I locate the dhclient.conf default file?  It is NOT
> > currently located in
> > my /etc directory now, and I have no clue as to where to find it....
>
> You can just create it in /etc. Just
> touch dhclient.conf
>
> If you want to be specfic about anything (an empty file is usually
> adequate), man dhclient.conf.

Normally I would agree with this, but not in this case.  The original
question came from someone with an "@home.com" address.  The @home
cable network requires you to send the host name before it will
respond to the DHCP request.  Setting the host name of the machine
did not seem to be adequate.  The following is what I had to do:

in /etc/rc.conf:
ifconfig_ed1="DHCP"

in /etc/dhclient.conf:

interface "ed1" {
    send host-name "assigned-host-name";
    request subnet-mask, broadcast-address,
	    routers, domain-name, host-name, ntp-servers;
    require subnet-mask, broadcast-address;
}

Replace "assigned-host-name" with the name that was assigned to you
by the cable company.  The above obviously assumes that your network
interface is "ed1".  My machine has two interfaces, one going to the
cable modem and one going to my internal network.

--
David H. Brierley
    dave@galaxia.com