Date:      Sun, 6 Aug 1995 01:17:38 -0400 (EDT)
From:      -Vince- <vince@penzance.econ.yale.edu>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, FreeBSD-questions@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Some questions

On Fri, 4 Aug 1995, Michael Smith wrote:

> -Vince- stands accused of saying:
> > > Yup, any halfway decent bookstore should have the O'reilly books, or be
> > > able to get them.  http://www.ora.com may be easier if you're web-literate.
> >
> > 	Hmmm, okay.  How much does this book cost?
>
> No idea 8)  I'd guess around the US$30 mark, but book prices here are
> horrendous.

	I bought it for $29.95, how does the DNS and Bind differ from
their TCP/IP book?

> > > SLiRP doesn't give a stuff about IP addresses, it uses whatever the client
> > > machine claims to be.  If you want to do more than feed a single client,
> > > then you'll need to do things 'properly'.
> >
> > 	Hmmm, is there anyway to set it up so that it will give the
> > correct ip assigned to that person?
>
> No, read what I said; It doesn't care.  SLiRP performs all network actions
> on the host, as the host, it just repackages the data it receives and
> sends it down the wire to the SLIP client, and takes SLIP packets from the
> client and reperforms tha action as though coming from the host.
>
> The actual IP number used by the client is irrelevant, it never gets
> used anywhere for anything other than by SLiRP to send packets back
> to the client.
>
> I'd suggest reading the documentation for SLiRP if I'm not making sense,
> I think it does a much better job 8)

	I know what you mean but isn't there anyway to configure SLiRP so
that it will default to a certain ip address for ppp/slip for each user
so that they can't be using someone else's address?

Cheers,
-Vince- vince@kbrown.oldcampus.yale.edu - GUS Mailing Lists Admin
UCLA Physics/Electrical Engineering - UC Berkeley Fall '95
SysAdmin bigbang.HIP.Berkeley.EDU - Running FreeBSD, Real UN*X for Free!