Date:      Mon, 18 Jun 2001 20:22:02 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Philip Hallstrom <philip@adhesivemedia.com>
Cc:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>, Jonathan Slivko <js43064n@pace.edu>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Digital Camera & FreeBSD 4.3

Philip Hallstrom <philip@adhesivemedia.com> types:
> > There are USB readers/writers available for both SmartMedia and
> > CompactFlash that use the USB protocols supported by the umass device,
> Be careful which one you get however.  I have the Sandisk SDDR-05 which
> does not work (it's not actually a Sandisk, but some other party and due
> to some licensing agreement no specs can be released).  There's another
> one, the SDDR-05a (I think) that looks the same and does work.  Also the
> SDDR-31 (I think, can't check at the moment) works as well.

Right - you need one that supports the standard protocols, not
something the manufacturer cons'ed up. The protocols are SCSI, UFI or
8070i (aka ATAPI) over CBI (with or without CCI) and BBB. The SDDR-31
is the one that works. The SanDisk SDDR-09 - which is a SmartMedia
reader, not Compact Flash reader - doesn't work either.

	<mike