Date:      Wed, 23 Jul 1997 12:59:48 -0600 (MDT)
From:      John-David Childs <jdc@denver.net>
To:        Khetan Gajjar <khetan@iafrica.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: UCD-SNMPd

On Wed, 23 Jul 1997, Khetan Gajjar wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Jul 1997, John-David Childs wrote:
>
> >It's wide open in the sense that if you're using SNMPv1 to monitor/query
> >devices outside your local LAN control, your SNMP packets could be sniffed.
> >A modicum of security is provided by having different read and write
> >community strings.  You could also use access lists/filters to control
> >packet source/destination.  Of course, neither of these is foolproof.
>
> I'd like to remove the default public group, and basically only
> allow acccess from a couple of hosts. How do I do this ?

This is vendor dependent (i.e. read the documentation for the equipment in
question) and not really apropos to freebsd-questions.  But as an example,
you would do something like this for a Livingston Portmaster:

	set snmp on
	set readcommunity MyReadCommunityString
	add snmphost reader W.X.Y.Z
--

--

John-David Childs (JC612)       @denver.net/Internet-Coach
System Administrator            Enterprise Internet Solutions