Date:      Wed, 22 Apr 1998 15:37:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom Bartol <bartol@salk.edu>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG, java-port@FreeBSD.ORG, ritter@orbisys.com, hasty@rah.star-gate.com
Subject:   Re: JWS2.0/libawt.so trouble

On Wed, 22 Apr 1998, Nate Williams wrote:

> > I just modified the jws startup_wrapper to output the java command line
> > and this is what I get:
> >
> > /usr/local/Java-WorkShop2.0/JDK/bin/i386/green_threads/java -classpath
>
> Why is java being run out of there?  If the JDK is installed there, then
> you need to change JAVA_HOME to point there.  (I don't know what's going
> on with regard to Amancio's changes/patches, so forgive me.)

/usr/local/Java-WorkShop2.0/JDK is a symlink to /usr/local/jdk1.1.5 so
this is fine.  If I set JAVA_HOME to point directly at /usr/local/jdk1.1.5
Then I get:

/usr/local/jdk1.1.5/bin/i386/green_threads/java -classpath ...

And jws still fails so that's not it.

> > -Djws.xdisplay=:0.0 sun.jws.Main
> >
> > It looks like it's setting jws.xdisplay to the correct value.  Is this the
> > variable you were referring to?
>
> No, I'm referring to the 'DISPLAY' variable, which is part of your shell
> and is used by the java shell script to use the 'appropriate' JVM.  (One
> doesn't contain any linkage for the X stuff, hence the original error.)
>

> Nate

Well, my DISPLAY shell variable _IS_ set to :0.0 as I originally stated.
Inside the startup_wrapper for jws $DISPLAY is being picked up properly
and passed on the java command line as far as I can tell in the
-Djws.xdisplay=:0.0 argument to java.  If this is not what you mean by
passing the DISPLAY environment variable to java then please spell out
what you mean and/or what the command line to java should look like (sorry
for the frustrated tone of this e-mail, thanks for your help!)  Perhaps
Amancio can shed more light here?

Thank you very much,

Tom