Date:      Tue, 23 Jun 2009 19:07:39 +0200
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl>
Subject:   Re: you're not going to believe this.

--x+6KMIRAuhnl3hBn

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 09:31:06AM +0200, Wojciech Puchar wrote:
>=20
> > 	you guys aren't going to believe what i just found on the web for
> > 	the ASUS Eee-901 [or is it the "900"].  it was for the 9- and
> > 	10-inch screens.  i was using konq which just segv'd so i am
> > 	taking a break and thought i'd share this.
> >
> > 	last night, i could barely believe the ten-inch with a 40GB SSD.
> > 	these mini-notebooks take two memory chips. they just plug in.
> > 	i was googling around and found they have 32's and even 128's.
> > 	so you can get 64 or up to 256Gigs of solid state disk ...
> > 	not in a year or two (or five or six), but now.
>=20
> today we have huge flash disks for really cheap, but still don't have=20
> native flash filesystem in any OS, be it FreeBSD or windoze or mac os x o=
r=20
> whatever.

Not so. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_file_system

Most flash devices sold as harddisks have hardware that emulates a
traditional harddisk, representing it as a (P/S)ATA block device. Unless
you can bypass this, there is no need for a special filesystem.

The only downside is that one has no idea how good or bad this interface
hardware is. The abovementioned Wikipedia article provides insight into
the unique issues surrounding flash-based filesystems.

Roland
--=20

--x+6KMIRAuhnl3hBn

--x+6KMIRAuhnl3hBn--