Date:      Sat, 23 Jun 2001 22:06:52 -0700
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Linh Pham <lplist@closedsrc.org>
Cc:        "Matthew K. Cowger" <mcowger@bowdoin.edu>, Peter Kok <cckok00@hotmail.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd 4.3 on the Notebook IBM T20

On Saturday, 23 June 2001 at 19:43:26 -0700, Linh Pham wrote:
> On 2001-06-23, Matthew K. Cowger scribbled:
>
>> I dont know about XWindows in this notebook, but FreeBSD does not yet
>> support CardBus
>
> I believe the T20 series (including the T20, the T21 and the newer T22)
> use the same video chipset (which is an S3 chipset). I have been able to
> use the SVGA drivers for it without any major problems (some of the
> video modes don't work, like 24-bit on my T21 @ 1024x768).

Well, a number of the machines have 1400x1050 displays, which
obviously require different config files.  That's the case for my T22,
for example.

> The T21 that I have has both the modem and the network card (the
> latter uses the Intel chipset... some models come either without a
> network card or even a 3Com based chipset). The Intel fxp driver
> works fine on mine.

This is presumably like my machine, which has a PCI chipset (Ethernet
connector on the back, not a removable card).  This is different from
a PCCARD or CardBus controller (and, incidentally, much faster :-)

> You may want to look at the Xircom 16-bit PC Cards (even the original
> 16-bit Real Port Ethernet works great... got one working on an older
> Toshiba with FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE).

Yes, I also have a full-height one with a proper RJ45 connector.  It's
not nearly as fast as the on-board Ethernet, however.

Greg
If you don't, I may ignore the reply.