Date:      Sat, 1 Dec 2007 17:48:41 +0100
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        David Southwell <david@vizion2000.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: duration of the ports freeze

On Sat, Dec 01, 2007 at 07:49:00AM -0800, David Southwell wrote:
> On Saturday 01 December 2007 05:58:21 Thierry Thomas wrote:
> > On Sat  1 dec 07 at 14:25:08 +0100, Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
> >
> >  wrote:
> > > The ports freeze is intended to make sure the ports tree is in a stable
> > > and well tested state for the release.  Updating major ports always carry
> > > a great risk of breaking things thus defeating the point of the freeze.
> >
> > Anyway, if the freeze is too long, and if the new version is released
> > several weeks after the thaw, very few will install these packages:
> > a lot of updates will be committed, and many users will update their
> > ports tree to install the new versions. This is very difficult to find a
> > good compromise!
>
> I do not think we need a compromise we need a different system. We need one
> that preserves continuity of support for existing systems while the new
> releases are testedin a way that does not adversely impact them. The priority
> needs to be the current user base not a desire to rush a new release out the
> door at all costs.

Considering that FreeBSD releases almost always get delayed by several weeks
compared to the original schedule I think it is safe to say that "a desire
to rush a new release out the door at all costs" is something that the
FreeBSD project certainly does not suffer from.

Now it may be that due to the ports freeze, there will be some ports whose
upgrade will be delayed for a couple of weeks (not to be confused with those
ports whose upgrade gets delayed for other reasons.)
I do not consider this to be a major problem.

I think you vastly overestimate the need for the ports tree to always have
the latest versions of all softwares contained therein.

In those very rare cases where a user just cannot wait 2-3 weeks extra for
an upgrade, they can always try to build the software themselves outside the
ports system.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson