Date:      Thu, 13 Jul 2006 07:33:05 -0700
From:      "Wyatt Tellis" <wtellis@radiology.ucsf.edu>
To:        java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems with JAI native libraries

Hi,

I have a web app that runs in JBoss 4.0.4. It uses JAI
to create thumbnails on they fly. I've installed the
jai-1.1.2_1 port and updated /etc/libmap.conf (as
instructed by the port) to include:

[/usr/local/jdk1.5.0/jre/lib/i386/libmlib_jai.so]
libm.so.6       libm.so.2
libc.so.6       pluginwrapper/jai.so

When I run the code to generate the thumbnail it runs
really slow and I get the following message in std
out:

Could not load mediaLib accelerator wrapper classes.
Continuing in pure Java mode.

This suggests that JAI is unable to find the .so
files. I'm running FreeBSD 6.0 with Java 1.5.0-p2. Do the
native JAI libraries work with Java 5 on FreeBSD?

Thanks,

Wyatt