Date:      Sun, 19 Oct 2014 11:34:04 -0500
From:      Matthew Grooms <mgrooms@shrew.net>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Compiling Xen on FreeBSD using clang ...

All,

As most of you are probably aware, Roger at Citrix R&D has been doing
some incredible work to bring PVH domU/dom0 support to FreeBSD. There
has also been an effort by other Xen developers to get the software to
compile using clang. While most of these attempts appear to be on Linux
platforms targeting arm processors, the FreeBSD version of binutils is
quite a bit older. Clang still can't parse all of the assembly that Xen
requires, so unfortunately the -no-integrated-as option has to be used
in several cases.

Which brings me to my question, is there a way to ask clang to use the
ports version of binutils when -no-integrated-as is passed to clang? The
version of 'as' in base fails to compile such as ...

/tmp/misc-bf1339.s: Assembler messages:
/tmp/misc-bf1339.s:375: Error: unknown pseudo-op: `.cfi_sections'

If /usr/local/bin/as is symlinked to /usr/bin/as, the compile completes
but I assume there is a better way to tell clang where the external as
binary is when -no-integrated-as is invoked. I've googled a bunch but
came up empty handed so far. I thought it would be worth asking here in
case someone has already run across this problem and had more insight.

Thanks,

-Matthew