Date:      Thu, 26 Jul 2007 16:27:37 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kurt Abahar <xverify@yahoo.com>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Keeping Ports and Packages Synchronized

--- Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com> wrote:

> On Jul 26, 2007, at 4:14 PM, Kurt Abahar wrote:
> > I'm trying to find a way to keep the ports tree
> > synchronized with that from which the latest
> packages
> > in packages-6-stable were built.
> >
> > Is there a way to accomplish this?
>
> Sure, you probably want something like "portupgrade
> -P" or
> "portupgrade -PP" options.  Note that if you have
> reason to select
> non-default options, you're better off building the
> ports locally to
> suit your preferences...
>
> --
> -Chuck

Thank you for the quick response.

I have tried the portupgrade way, but unfortunately
the packages lag behind ports the majority of the
time. This led me to think that keeping the ports tree
a little behind HEAD would be a better solution.
However, I don't know how to get a hold of this "lag
time." Is it a few days, a few weeks or ... ?

Perhaps there is a better way?