Date:      Tue, 24 Mar 1998 20:36:07 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bruce Momjian <maillist@candle.pha.pa.us>
To:        shimon@simon-shapiro.org
Cc:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com, freebsd-database@FreeBSD.ORG, andreas@klemm.gtn.com, pgsql-ports@postgreSQL.org, current@FreeBSD.ORG, scrappy@hub.org
Subject:   Re: [PORTS] Pgaccess doesn't run on -current anymore, Update

> With lots of help from many good people, here is how far I got:
>
> a.  The port still talks about 6.2.1, so forget that.
>
> b.  When configuring, make sure you specify ``/usr/locl/include/tcl{whatever
>     _version} /usr/local/include/tk{whatever_version}''
>
> c.  In configure (you can/should do it to configure.in and regenerate it
>     via autoconf - I'll let YOU figh this one :-)  you should specify the
>     explicit libraries, as in TCL_LIB = tcl8.1 and TK_LIB = tk8.1, instead
>     of the generic TCL_LIB = tcl

One other solution is to make a symbolic link from libtcl8.1.so to
libtcl.so, and when you upgrade tcl, you update the symbolic link so
libtcl.so always points to the most recent version.  Do the same with
libtk, tcl.h and tk.h.  That is what BSDI does.

> These above steps are curtesy of the changes to the .mk files that deprive
> FreeBSD from a normal, default tcl/tk installation in an attempt to
> acomodate all the versions necessary in many different places.
>
> More steps:
>
> d.  Edit src/bin/pgaccess/pgaccess.tcl to remove the line ``load libpgtcl''
>
> e.  Install the above directory someplace sensible (other then the source
>     tree.  I put it in ~pgsql/bin/pgaccess.dir
>
> f.  Write yourself a bit script that does ``pgtksh -f
>     /usr/local/pgsql/bin/pgaccess.ir/pgaccess.tcl''
>
> The script will promptly start very nicely.
>
> More Fun:
>
> g.  Pull down the Database menu, select Open
>
> h.  Enter your favorite database name and connection data
>
> i.  Since tcl is interpreted/embedded it is immune to C programming errors.
>     Thus it will promptly generate a segmentation fault and die.

Just to let you know, pgaccess works fine under BSDI.  I use versions
tcl7.5 and tk4.1.