Date:      Tue, 21 Sep 1999 10:47:02 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Norbert Meissner <norbert.meissner@daimlerchrysler.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: vinum: strange behaviour and other things

Please limit your lines to about 75 characters.  It makes them much
easier to read, and avoids people with broken mailers making it
completely illegible.

On Monday, 20 September 1999 at 17:25:20 +0200, Norbert Meissner wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> last weekend i've tried vinum on 3.3 release and some (from my point
> of view) strange things happened.
>
> 1. When I create a mirror volume a lot of error messages appeared
> about that one plex is faulty.

How many?

> Init the plexes doesn't help, but when I "start" the plexes they
> will go in the "up" state. Is it possible to include this command in
> the "create"-process?

Yes.  To quote the man page:

           setupstate

                               When creating a multi-plex volume,
                               assume that the contents of all the
                               plexes are consistent.  This is
                               normally not the case, and correctly
                               you should use the init command to
                               first bring them to a consistent state.
                               In the case of striped and concatenated
                               plexes, however, it does not normally
                               cause problems to leave them
                               inconsistent: when using a volume for a
                               file system or a swap partition, the
                               previous con- tents of the disks are
                               not of interest, so they may be
                               ignored.  If you want to take this
                               risk, use this keyword.  It will only
                               apply to the plexes defined immediately
                               after the volume in the configuration
                               file.  If you add plexes to a volume at
                               a later time, you must integrate them.

> 2. I was not able to make a dump from a vinum volume (raid5, mirror
> and stripe tested).  In the worst case (raid5) the whole system
> freezes! Only the reset button shows effect. In the other cases dump
> aborts with the message "bad magic number in sblock".

You've sent in a PR with only part of this information.  That doesn't
help *one* *little* *bit*.  Please specify *all* information when you
enter a PR.

I've addressed this separately in a followup to the PR.

> I think that this is a problem with dump and the way it acesses the
> disk. Some people will surely tell me to use tar or cpio (btw.,
> these work!) but I like dump and I find it much more flexible and
> safer than the others.

Yes, you're correct, dump does some strange things.  But it shouldn't
cause vinum to do this.

> 3. I'm missing documentation how to integrate a new disk in a vinum
> volume for the case that one disk has failures. I built a mirrored
> volume, then booted dos and deleted the partition info from one of
> the disks.  My data was after this accessible, I could write new data
> on the remaining disk but I wasn't able to 'reintegrate' the disk
> with no partition info in the mirrored volume. I tried to do this
> with reconfiguring the partition and disklabel info. The next thing I
> saw is that the drive was gone out of the vinum configuration ( the
> line shows: "drive d1 device"). A create solved this. The volume was
> up, but the plex was flaky, a "start mirror.p0" showed no effect,
> "start mirror.p0.s0" states that it is busy.  The same procedure on a
> raid5 volume shows that the volume is degraded, the data is still
> accessible but I didn' manage it to reintegrate the disk. At this
> point I see for the case of a disk failure the only solution to back
> up all data with tar, change the broken hd and restore. Or, maybe,
> I'm wrong....

I'm still working on this one.  At the moment, you need to recreate
the objects manually.

Greg