Date:      Thu, 04 Mar 2010 08:06:21 +0800
From:      Aaron Lewis <aaron.lewis1989@gmail.com>
To:        "Bas v.d. Wiel" <bas@kompasmedia.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Suitable laptop for FreeBSD?

Bas v.d. Wiel wrote:
> Aaron Lewis wrote:
>>
>>> Umm... that's incorrect.  Maybe you mean ATI doesn't supply closed
>>> drivers for FreeBSD (although they do have Linux drivers, I think).
>>>

>> Well , the opensource ati driver doesn't work for me , no matter
>> linux or FreeBSD , it crashes
>> I've read the documents , and found my ATI is on the support list ,
>> but it just don't work ;-(
>>
>>> Are you saying the R400 has both integrated and discrete video
>>> cards? Lenovo's web site doesn't seem very oriented to telling
>>> potential customers details about their newer computers.
>>>
>>> -Warren Block * Rapid City, South Dakota USA
>> I bought it in china , you'll had to know R400 has lots of types ,
>> mine is 2784a18.
>> Of course you can choose to buy an energy-save laptop , which has on
>> independent Video Cards ,
>> Just an build-in intel Video Card , it's better for power saving
>> someway.
>>
> It's very strange that your machine should crash so early in its boot
> process. I don't own any ATI hardware so I'm not entirely sure on
> this, but my impression is that booting into the console should work
> with just about any kind of video hardware. Does Windows actually work
> with the ATI card? I'm beginning to suspect broken hardware here..
>
> Bas

Yeah , when i enable "Switchable Video Card" in BIOS , my Linux won't
start X11 ,
fglrx driver doesn't allow me to do so , it tell me directly to disable
this feature  ,
and must turn to "Discrete Card" Mode.

And if i do so  , after boot menu , right after the progress bar  , (
not the boot loader )
i don't know how to describe this , it just hangs at prompt when i press
enter.

I think it's because my ATI Video Card is kind of special , it has
"Switchable Video Card" ability ,
some new features , even ATI official linux driver can't really handle
this , and for BSD ,
it even don't boot.

--
Best Regards,