Date:      Mon, 12 Feb 2001 13:45:45 -0500
From:      "Dave VanAuken" <dave@hawk-systems.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Win2k, FreeBSD, Small Home Network, Router

Now we are getting to the meat of the problem.

first your fbsd box

check your /etc/rc.conf (which is where your nic config should be

your ifconfig line should be something like:

ifconfig_xl0="inet 192.168.1.2 netmask 255.255.255.0"
         ^^^ may be different depending on brand of card

this assigns the ip address of the interface, and the proper netmask

do that first and do a reboot or reinit of your machine...  try to
conenct again, then look at your win2k machine

I would suspeck that if you do not have a path to the real world, that
your gateway would be left blank on the win2k machine

Dave